Ceramic Shaving Bowl
We went to the UK's best ceramic shaving bowl maker, Ross Giles and tasked him with creating a piece of shaving hardware beauty. Our brief was to achieve subtle layers of colour that had to include charcoal black, grey-indigo and an earthy bronze - no mean feat in the context of kilns and ceramic chemistry.
Ross however is an absolute wizard at his craft and has nailed our requirements. He produces each tiny batch using the following process:
- The bowls are hand thrown and left overnight, sometimes marginally longer and in order to dry to a "leather hard" finish
- Foot rings are added and internal grooves trimmed
- Handles are extruded, cut to length, dried to match the hardness of the bowl, then attached
- The bowls must be dried evenly to avoid warps, cracks and deformations. This is at the absolute minimum, a week. More in the winter, apparently
- Bowls are loaded into his kiln and fired for around 18 hours to 1000 degrees before being left to cool naturally to room temperature - This takes 4-5 days
- Bowls are finally dipped in glazes then reloaded into the kiln and fired for another 18 hours to 1220 degrees and again left to cool naturally for 4-5 days.
Hand stamped with the Phoenix and Beau logo, each bowl comes with its own idiosyncrasies in terms of colour pattern, shade and marking. Each one is a thing of British craftsmanship, a thing of shaving beauty, and a genuine one off.
They're made so well that, if cared for properly, we have no doubt they'll last a life time.
- Diameter - 150mm
- Depth - 65mm
Hand made by Ross Giles in Cardiff, Wales.
This content type will accept rich text to help with adding styles and links to additional pages or content. Use this to add supplementary information to help your buyers.
You can use product metafields to assign content to this tab that is unique to an individual product. Use tabs to highlight unique features, sizing information, or other sales information.
Really nice bowl and lathers very well. Design with handle is nice too, as is glaze. I got last one. I live in Tokyo and was really pleased to
have this and another shaving product delivered here. Great service and recommend Phoenix and Beau without hesitation.
Très honnêtement, le meilleur bol à raser que j’ai eu. Avec ses nervures et rayures la mousse monte à toute vitesse. Très bonne qualité et vitesse de livraison garantie pour la France. Take care
This bowl is perfect. Very good lathering and good grip.
Careful packaging and fast delivery. I recommend!
Great bowl, well packaged. Thanks 🙂
This is a great piece of kit. Aesthetically pleasing and practical to use. Deep, wide and the grooves enable a huge lather build up. So glad I decided to buy this. Looks amazing in my shave cave!